The Hive, Wirral Youth Zone
Safeguarding Policy and Safe Working with Young People Policy
Wirral Youth Zone, which is part of the OnSide Network of Youth Zones exists to provide an safe, attractive, accessible, affordable facility where young people 8-19 (up to 25 with a disability) of all backgrounds and abilities can meet to play and participate in a wide range of sports, arts, music, media and developmental activities, seven days a week, where they will find positive people who listen, support, and encourage them to explore opportunities, develop their strengths and talents and have fun!
The young people’s chosen name “The HIVE” represents the aspirations and values of Wirral Youth. Wirral Youth Zone will be a ‘hive’ of activity, adventure and fun for all young people where they can try new experiences and learn new skills. It will be a place where young people can reach their full potential, grow their dreams and achieve their goals. It will also be a safe and supportive community for young people to belong to and in which they can be themselves.
The Hive aims to:
- Keep young people at the centre of all we do
- Recognise young people’s potential
- Demonstrate a culture of continuous improvement and subscribes to a “tonight’s better than last night” philosophy
- Go the extra mile to ensure great provision for young people and always treating them with respect
- Provide a positive role model for young people
- Demonstrating a positive and “can do” attitude
- Providing all young people regardless of gender, ethnicity, ability, sexuality, beliefs or back ground and safe and welcoming environment and opportunity to explore their own values and identity
- Providing a range of new opportunities, activities and experiences to young people in a safe environment
The Hive’s offer to young people is structured in the following clubs or session:
- Senior Club, for young people aged 13-19 (up to 25 for young people identifying as with additional needs or disability)
- Junior Club, for young people aged 8-12
- Hivability, session aimed at young people of all ages with additional needs or disability
- Holiday Club, during school holidays for young people aged 8-12 during school holidays
Additional closed and targeted sessions also take place at the Hive. All sessions are supervised and young people who identify as having additional needs or disabilities are supported thought our “Supporting Young People Policy” which does take into account the safeguarding and safety of all members using The Hive, with the support needs for each young person from this group being considered with respect to accessing The Hive.
Purpose and overview
This policy aims to provide a comprehensive over view of how Wirral Youth Zone, known as The Hive operates in relation to Safeguarding Young People and Working Safely and Positively with Young People.
Click below for our policy in full